Follow by Email

Monday, March 26, 2012

First Project

KITCHEN NOOK BEFORE...

Because I wasn't taking "before" shots, this is the best I can do.  Plus - love Meg in the high heels....

Anyway, you can see - same builder's paint in the nook as rest of the house.  A nice table (turned the long way) and a backers rack on the right side to hold dishes.  (I always like open shelving.)  A nice mirror and  some star candle holders.  Also some temporary wicker stands to hold our outside summer dishes.

All fine....

Then I stumbled by accident upon the blog - http://scissorsandspatulas.com.  I am pretty sure I was looking for a recipe or something and somehow landed on this blog.  I was hooked!  From this blog I found links to hundreds of other home DIY blogs and it got my creative juices going!   We aren't typically do-it-yourselfers, so this is a new adventure for us.  Luckily, Tom was into it.  I decided to start with the breakfast nook - a small space that we (hopefully) couldn't mess up too badly.

Little helpers.




I think Tom secretly enjoyed the math.



Turned the table the other way.  Duh!  Why didn't I think of that before.



Coming together....but not quite finished.  That builder's light DOES NOT work.



This chunky shelf is my favorite part of the room.   Do you know what it is?


An old headboard from a 1980's waterbed!  I got it for 8 bucks at an estate sale.  I don't even think they were meaning to sell it.  It was in a random pile of wood.  Tom took off the back and re-stained it and we love it!  I was inspired by the chunky shelves from http://thehouseofsmiths.com.

Here is the finished room.  I can't believe we did this ourselves.  People who come to visit don't necessarily believe us when we say we didn't hire someone!

 The great part is that it was done (for the most part) with things we already had.  The only things purchased were the shelf ($8) and the light fixture - at $120 it was the most expensive item in the whole room.  We also purchased paint and supplies that added up, but now we have them on hand for our next project.  Oh yes...there is a next project!




The finished room.


Sharing this with My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia







2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you started a blog to document all your endeavors! I'm also so glad you contacted me to let me know how I inspired you! I have not forgotten about posting your email. I still have it and the photos. I've jsut had a crazy last couple of weeks and haven't been able to do it. I'm glad I waited thought b/c now I can promote your blog! :) Good luck with all of your projects! I can't wait to see more!
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo beautiful, what a job!!
    And Meg in high heels is so cute !

    Cheers
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete